Hi there mentees!
Some of the most recent books I acquired and developed are Alice Reeds ECHOES, Cindy Wilson’s PAPER GIRL, and Madeline Reynolds’ ILLUSIONS. Along with my below wishlist, feel free to wander around to the Tips & Tricks section for a glimpse into how I think about story. There are free gifs for all!
I look forward to hearing from you, and I hope you have a good rest of your day.
Send me your finest YA. I will accept NA as well if it’s on the younger side. Distinction: At the end of YA, the characters have taken a big step toward adulthood. At the end of NA, the characters answer big questions about what it means to be a new adult.
High-concept is a must. Include a logline or pitch that shows why your book stands out.
• LGBTQIA+, disability rep, neuroatypicality, etc.
• Non-binary MCs!
• A trans MC whose trans-ness might come up but is taken as matter of fact/NOT the center of conflict.
• A trans MC whose trans-ness IS essential to the conflict (eg Dreadnought by April Daniels) in an otherwise super high-concept book.
• I would love an ace story with a great big romance please.
• Literally (figuratively?) dying for Alias set in high school.
• A Gillian Flynn-esque YA contemporary
• Sci-fi/thriller like ECHOES by Alice Reeds
• The YA version of You’ve Got Mail. Something using texting, social media, etc.
• Ingenious retellings. Two of my most recent faves: PETER DARLING by Austin Chant and OLIVIA TWIST by Lorie Langdon.
• Highly original meet-cutes will make your book stand out.
• Tropes that will grab my attention: Revenge, fake relationship, bait and switch, blackmail, enemies to lovers, mistaken identity
DO NOT WANT:
• Angels vs. demons
• Rape or any kind of assault as a character motivation, or excessive use or threat of sexual assault as a device to create danger
2018 Young Adult Mentors